Welcome! The Office of Technology Partnerships (OTP) is here to assist you with opportunities to explore, validate and launch ideas into the market. Read below to learn how OTP can support your efforts through entrepreneurial education, mentoring, funding, networking or internships. At any time feel free to contact OTP’s team with questions.
The OTP team is comprised of professionals with extensive experience in intellectual property, corporate research and development as well as technology startup formation. Additionally, OTP has a team of 16 Entrepreneurs in Residence (EIRs) with deep experience in a variety of technology sectors. EIRs are available to support you in the process of translating discoveries from the laboratory to the market.
We provide funding opportunities to validate your technology and bring it to commercialization.
CONCEPT VALIDATION THROUGH CUSTOMER DISCOVERY
If you have an innovative idea or techology and want to increase the chances of successful commercialization the NSF I-Corps Workshop is for you.
- Dedicated Mentorship: Receive 1:1 mentoring from experienced entrepreneurs who will guide you through the Lean Launchpad methodology to see if your idea has market potential.
- Transferable Business skills: Sharpen presentation skills, learn basic business concepts and how to effectively present your idea or technology to non-technical audiences.
- Expanded Network: Connect with fellow innovators, industry experts, and potential customers, partners, investors, and stakeholders to validate your idea or technology through interviews.
- Access to Funding: Receive up to $3,000 to interview customers. Upon completion, qualify for $50,000 in additional funding from the NSF and secure special preference for Proof of Concept grant funding of up to $35,000 through the Office of Technology Partnerships.
INTENSIVE CONCEPT VALIDATION THROUGH CUSTOMER DISCOVERY
If you have completed the UCR NSF I-Corps workshops or are a recipient of NSF grants you are eligible for the I-Corps National Program.
Funded by the National Science Foundation I-Corps.
NSF provides $50,000.
7 week intensive workshop offered in National I-Corps sites across the country.
For more information about participating in the NSF National program, visit the NSF I-Corps’ National Program site or contact us.
PROOF OF CONCEPT FUNDING
If you have an invention with commercial or business potential this grant is available to you.
Funded by the UCR Research and Economic Development Office.
We provide faculty with grants of up to $50,000.
Funds can be used for prototyping or to conduct translational experiments to bring a technology closer to commercialization.
Five to eight awards are distributed annually through a competitive process.
For more information on the Proof of Concept funding, contact Brian Suh firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications that have been validated through the I-Corps program secure special preference for Proof of Concept grant funding.
NON-DILUTIVE FUNDING THROUGH THE FEDERAL SBIR/STTR PROGRAM
Our SBIR/STTR Resource Center is here to help you develop and submit winning proposals.
Programs are structured into 2 funded phases, with awards typically between $150,000 - $1,000,000.
UCR’s SBIR/STTR Resource Center provides one on one mentorship and a robust training program that provides insights on preparing competitive proposals.
For more information about preparing an SBIR or STTR proposal, contact Misty Madero email@example.com.
VENTURE CAPITAL FUNDING
If you have a UCR affiliated company you can apply for venture capital investment through the Highlander Venture Fund.
Investments between $250,000-$500,000.
For more information about the Highlander Venture Fund, contact Scott Brovsky firstname.lastname@example.org
Entrepreneur in Residence
Blackstone LaunchPad powered by Techstars
Tel: (951) 827-6454
Startup Job Opportunities
LacNation LLC is an early-stage startup looking to do a second round of customer validation with neonatal intensive care units to determine how best to match our concept with their needs. More about this Job
Neoboard is the Education Technology startup founded in 2019 and based in the Inland Empire that develops LMS applications with the primary goal of improving the quality of online classes for students and educators. More about this Job
Programs + Services
We provide you with an integrated approach to develop intellectual property, secure industry collaborations and funded sponsorships; as well as obtain entrepreneurial education and start-up development support.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY MANAGEMENT AND LICENSING (graduate students and post-docs)
We facilitate Intellectual Property (IP) protection and transfer for UCR researchers and faculty.
Our services include:
- Invention evaluation
- Patent filing and prosecution
- IP marketing
- Licensing to startups or established companies
- Issuing of options to sponsors
INDUSTRY PARTNERSHIPS AND SPONSORED RESEARCH
We collaborate with industry partners to offer networking events, seminars, and recruitment opportunities for students.
Our Entrepreneurship Proof of Concept and Innovation Center (EPIC) provides entrepreneurial education and start up formation support to entrepreneurs from UCR and the community.
Our services include:
- Ideation and creative exploration through access to workshops, resources, and project support at the Creat'R Lab.
- Entrepreneurial Training through structured programs such as the NSF I-Corps as well as ongoing workshops on topics from IP protection to startup funding delivered regularly by a team of industry experts.
- Startup Mentorship to help future entrepreneurs, startups and small technology-focused businesses develop and succeed in the market. Our team of Entrepreneurs-in-Residence has deep experience mentoring and directly leading, creating, developing, growing and/or successfully selling their own startups.
- Incubation at our local Riverside ExCITE incubator to help startups accelerate their development and growth in a dedicated co-working space where crosspollination and learning is facilitated by our team.