Welcome! The Office of Technology Partnerships (OTP) is here to help you launch and grow your technology-based business through entrepreneurial training, mentoring, access to capital and networking opportunities. Read below to learn how OTP can support your idea, startup or business through EPIC Small Business Development Center (SBDC) and the ExCITE Incubator. At any time feel free to contact us with questions.
EPIC SBDC provides early stage tech entrepreneurs and companies with support to grow their businesses at no cost. Services include specialized consulting,
training programs and workshops, access to capital and SBIR/STTR assistance. A team of over 14 industry experts and mentors work one-on-one supporting tech entrepreneurs at any stage to develop, launch, or grow their business.
ExCITE, Riverside’s own startup incubator helps new technology businesses with mentoring, training, business resources, co-working space, networking, and access to funding opportunities with support from EPIC SBDC. ExCITE is a partnership between the University of California, Riverside, and the city and county of Riverside.
Startup Job Opportunities
Software Engineer (Remote work)
We connect users to both a personal dietitian and an elite trainer, for a flat subscription fee, to specifically help them lose fat and gain muscle.
Looking for a 0-1 engineer to help build a full-stack iOS app on top of the insights and progress of our MVP.
Social Media Marketing Intern (Remote, paid internship)
Company: Hometown, Inc.
We have created a platform for local businesses to combine their product offerings to make it easier for customers to support them.
We need a social media intern who needs experience in creating ads for facebook/instagram/Pinterest/
View More Jobs @ ConnectR! https://connectr.ucr.edu/
In these times of uncertainty, we know how important it is to have access to resources. OTP is actively engaged in identifying and connecting researchers and entrepreneurs to the growing number of resources that are becoming available. We will keep updating this on a regular basis, so continue to check our website for more resources!
We provide funding opportunities to validate your technology and bring it to commercialization.
CONCEPT VALIDATION THROUGH CUSTOMER DISCOVERY
If you have an innovative idea or techology and want to increase the chances of successful commercialization the NSF I-Corps Workshop is for you.
- Dedicated Mentorship: Receive 1:1 mentoring from experienced entrepreneurs who will guide you through the Lean Launchpad methodology to see if your idea has market potential.
- Transferable Business skills: Sharpen presentation skills, learn basic business concepts and how to effectively present your idea or technology to non-technical audiences.
- Expanded Network: Connect with fellow innovators, industry experts, and potential customers, partners, investors, and stakeholders to validate your idea or technology through interviews.
- Access to Funding: Upon completion, qualify for $50,000 in additional funding from the NSF and secure special preference for Proof of Concept grant funding of up to $35,000 through the Office of Technology Partnerships.
INTENSIVE CONCEPT VALIDATION THROUGH CUSTOMER DISCOVERY
If you have completed the UCR NSF I-Corps workshops or are a recipient of NSF grants you are eligible for the I-Corps National Program.
Funded by the National Science Foundation I-Corps.
NSF provides $50,000.
7 week intensive workshop offered in National I-Corps sites across the country.
For more information about participating in the NSF National program, visit the NSF I-Corps’ National Program site or contact us.
PROOF OF CONCEPT FUNDING
If you have an invention with commercial or business potential this grant is available to you.
Funded by the UCR Research and Economic Development Office.
We provide faculty with grants of up to $50,000.
Funds can be used for prototyping or to conduct translational experiments to bring a technology closer to commercialization.
Five to eight awards are distributed annually through a competitive process.
For more information on the Proof of Concept funding, contact Brian Suh firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications that have been validated through the I-Corps program secure special preference for Proof of Concept grant funding.
NON-DILUTIVE FUNDING THROUGH THE FEDERAL SBIR/STTR PROGRAM
Our SBIR/STTR Resource Center is here to help you develop and submit winning proposals.
Programs are structured into 2 funded phases, with awards typically between $150,000 - $1,000,000.
UCR’s SBIR/STTR Resource Center provides one on one mentorship and a robust training program that provides insights on preparing competitive proposals.
For more information about preparing an SBIR or STTR proposal, contact Misty Madero email@example.com.
VENTURE CAPITAL FUNDING
If you have a UCR affiliated company you can apply for venture capital investment through the Highlander Venture Fund.
Investments between $250,000-$500,000.
For more information about the Highlander Venture Fund, contact Scott Brovsky firstname.lastname@example.org
Programs + Services
We provide you with an integrated approach to obtain entrepreneurial education, mentoring and start-up development support.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY MANAGEMENT AND LICENSING
- License UCR technology
- Field Trials
- Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs)
- Non-disclosure Agreements (NDAs)
- Sponsored Research Agreements
Our Entrepreneurship Proof of Concept and Innovation Center (EPIC) provides entrepreneurial education and start up formation support to entrepreneurs from UCR and the community.
Our services include:
- Entrepreneurial Training through structured programs such as the NSF I-Corps as well as ongoing workshops on topics from IP protection to startup funding delivered regularly by a team of industry experts.
- Startup Mentorship to help future entrepreneurs, startups and small technology-focused businesses develop and succeed in the market. Our team of Entrepreneurs-in-Residence has deep experience mentoring and directly leading, creating, developing, growing and/or successfully selling their own startups.
- Incubation at our local incubators help startups accelerate their development and growth. The Riverside ExCITE incubator provides dedicated co-working or office space where cross-pollination and learning is facilitated by our team. The Wet Lab incubator located on UCR's campus provides access to core laboratory and equipment facilities for up to 15 startup companies as well as startup mentoring support and exposure to UCR researchers, specialized facilities, and technologies.
Your Entrepreneur Liaison
Scott has been a Founder or Founding Executive of five tech startups including the VC funded mobile games studio Muti Labs and the Temecula based sports tech company NZN Labs/LIT Pro. Seeing the early promise of the iPhone and App Store, he put his own capital to work as an angel investor while at Brovsky Capital. As a brand marketing executive, Scott has a successful track record in launching and driving global product revenue for leading entertainment companies like Disney and Marvel. Scott has a Humanities Honors degree from The University of Texas at Austin where he graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa.