National Science Foundation I-Corps Program
The Entrepreneurial Proof of Concept and Innovation Center (EPIC) offers introductory training workshops to entrepreneurs within campus and the community as part of the National Science Foundation Innovation Corps program. Named “INNOVAR Workshops” our quarterly program utilizes the Lean Launchpad methodology to evaluate product-market fit for an idea, technology or product and determine if it has market potential. By interviewing customers and other stakeholders, participants validate their idea in the market by defining the individual customer they are targeting and the “value” that they bring to that specific customer. Only when the customer sees “value” in the proposed technology or product, will they want to purchase it, which is the base for a viable business.
If you have an innovative idea or technology and want to increase the chances of successful commercialization, UCR’s NSF INNOVAR workshops are for you.
- Dedicated Mentorship
- Transferable Business Skills
- Expanded Network
- Access to Funding
- Access to ExCite Incubator
- Access to UCR Life Science Incubator
Innovat'R Workshop Program
This quarterly program introduces the Lean Launchpad methodology and focuses on identifying and understanding the “customer” and their needs. Direct, face-to-face customer interviews provide insightful data to confirm product-market fit. In simple terms, customer interviews confirm that the entrepreneur is building something that somebody in the market wants, which significantly increases their chances of success. The program is focused on the market (customer's needs) and not the technology. It also introduces business concepts such as competition, market size, go-to-market, intellectual property protection and funding.
Participation requires approximately 8 hours/week of effort by team members including class time, customer interviewing, mentor meetings and assignment completion.
What’s in it for you?
- The possibility to apply to the National NSF I-Corps program ($50,000 grant)
- Preferred application for a Proof Of Concept Grant (up to $35,000) available to UCR Faculty
- Better chances of success when submitting SBIR/STTR Grants (up to $225,000 for Phase I and $1.5M for Phase II)
- Access to ExCITE Incubator Residency if appropriate
- Ongoing mentoring through EPIC SBDC
- Access to Wet Lab Incubator Residency if appropriate